Bengali Style Fish Biryani
Bengali people love fish. They like fish in any of the dishes. We bongs like fish in any way, such as, in curry, stew, mustard gravy, light curry , in pulao or biryani. So here I'm sharing a recipe for our another authentic Rice variety, that is Fish biryani. This is nothing but fish based rice variety and with lots of spice. It is easy to cook and very much time saving flavorful dish.
Bengali people love fish. They like fish in any of the dishes. We bongs like fish in any way, such as, in curry, stew, mustard gravy, light curry , in pulao or biryani.
Ingredients of Bengali Fish Biryani
For Rice :
- Basmati rice 1 1/2 cup washed and soaked into cold water for 30 minutes
- Vegetable or Canola oil 2 tablespoons
- Salt to make water salty
- Cinnamon sticks 1
- Cloves 4 to 5
- Green cardamom pods - 4 to 5
For The Fish :
- Fish steaks 7 to 8 washed and pat dried
- Yoghurt 1/2 cup
- Fish biryani masala 3 tablespoons (I used Shan masala)
- Lemon juice 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Green chilies chopped as per taste
- Onion slices 2 medium
- Ginger & Garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Dill or Soya leaves 1/2 cup chopped
- Fresh Mint leaves 2 tablespoons
- Cilantro chopped 1/2 cup
- Orange food color 3 to 4 drops
- Rose essence 2 tablespoons
- Butter or Ghee 4 tablespoons
- Vegetable or Canola oil 4 tablespoons
How to make Bengali Fish Biryani Recipe
- First marinate the fish steaks with lemon juice, salt, turmeric, red chili powder & 1 tablespoon Fish Biriyani Masala and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now heat the Vegetable or Canola oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the fish steaks till golden brown and place on a bowl.
- Keep the oil in the pan. We will use it to make the masala.
- Now boil 4 cups of water along with some salt ,Cinnamon sticks, Cloves ,Green cardamom pods and oil in a large pan.
- When the water starts boiling add the soaked rice and cook till the rice is 75% cook. Make sure the rice is not fully cooked Or the biryani will be not good.
- When the rice is 75% cooked, drain the water and allow the rice to cool. Now we will make the biryani masala.
- Take the pan in which we fried the fishes. Add some oil and when it is hot add the sliced onion and fry till the onion is golden brown . Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry again.
- Add the turmeric, red chili powder & 2 tablespoon Fish Biriyani Masala and fry for couple of minutes. Add some salt and the yoghurt and fry for some time and then add the chopped chilies, dill leaves, mint leaves & cilantro and just stir them.
- Add the cooked rice and mix with masala very gently. Sprinkle some ghee , rose essence, orange food color on the top of the rice and place the fried fish steaks, cover the pan with a air tight lid and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- After 15 minutes open the lid and serve hot Fish Biryani with Raita.
Serving TipsGarnish with chopped Pista and Saffron Threads and serve chilled.
Recipe Review Details
Bengali Style Fish Biryani Bengali
Recipe Rank - 4.51/5
No of likes - 305