Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani
Biryani is itself a meal where meat(chicken, mutton or fish) and rice slowly cooked together and serve with raita, salad as sides. The origin of the dish is South Asia but none can tell the exact location where it was borne. All over in India, there are many different types of biryani cooked. Every state has their own recipe of Biryani. In Delhi, they follow the Nawabi style, whereas In Lakhnow, Awadhi cuisine has been followed. In Kolkata the biryani is almost cooked in Awadhi style along with Egg and potato. Awadh's last Nawab Wajid Ali Shah was exiled in 1856 to the Kolkata suburb of Metiabruz,he brought his personal chef with him, and evolved the Lakhnow Awadhi style biryani in Kolkata. But the poorer household of Kolkata couldn't afford the meat so potatoes had been added. Now this has became the specialty of Kolkata biryani. Kolkata biryani is much lighter in spices and the rice is being flavored with Kewra, rose water and Mitha Attar. Which makes the biryani even more flavorful than any other states' biryani. Kolkata style mutton biryani is already on blog, today I'm going to share the 'Chicken biryani' recipe with you. Hope you like it.
Biryani is itself a meal where meat(chicken, mutton or fish) and rice slowly cooked together and serve with raita, salad as sides. The origin of the dish is South Asia but none can tell the exact location where it was borne. All over in India, there are many different types of biryani cooked. Every state has their own recipe of Biryani.
Ingredients of Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani
For Marinating Chicken :
- Chicken biryani cut pieces 1 kg
- Yogurt 1 cup( well beaten)
- Turmeric 1 teaspoon
- Masala paste with 1 large onion, 10 cloves garlic, 1" ginger piece, 2 kashmiri red chili, 2 normal red chili, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, cinnamon stick 1, green cardamom pods 3, cloves 3, nutmeg 1/3 teaspoon, mace 1/2 of a whole peppercorn 5 and little water and grind to make fine paste.
- Mustard oil 2 tablespoons
For Rice :
- Basmati Rice 1 kg(wash under tap water and soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- Cinnamon 1
- Cloves 2(crushed)
- Green & black cardamom pods 2)crushed
- Star Anise 1
- Mace 1 whole
- Salt4 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- For the chicken :
- Onion 4, finely sliced
- Mustard oil 1 cup
- salt to taste
- Sweet attar 2 drops
For Layering biryani:
- Dry roasted and coarsly ground whole garam masala(cinnamon stick, green cardamom pods 2, cloves 3, mace, 3 petals, pinch of grated nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon shah jeera, 5 to 6 white papper corns, 3 to 4 black papper corns, 1 small bay leaf)
- Khoya kheer 1/2 cup grated
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Saffron soaked warm milk 1/2 cup
- Rose water (I've used homemade) 2 tablespoons
- Hard boiled eggs 4
You may also like
How to make Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Take the chicken, wash under tap water and put in a large strainer for 15 minutes to strain the excess water. Now take a large bowl, add yogurt, turmeric, masala paste & mustard oil and mix everything well. Now add the chicken pieces and rub the masala on the meat using your hand. Put everything in a large tiffin box and put into the refrigerator for overnight. If you don't have enough time then keep aside the marinated chicken at least for 2 hours.
- On next morning, remove the chicken and keep aside for cooking after 1hour.
- In the meantime be prepared for the next step.
- First take the rice and wash under tap water till looks clear. Soaked the rice efor 30 minutes.
- Take a big handi for cooking the rice. Add enough water, salt, oil & cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, mace in it and put on high heat to bring the water boil. When the water will start boiling, add the soaked rice in the water and cook till the rice is 80% done. Drain the excess water of the rice and spread the cooked rice on large plates.
- Now take 4 large onions, finely chop them. Take 4 to 5 small whole potatoes, peel and prick them, soaked in salty water for 10 minutes.
- Take a large wok, where you will cook the chicken, heat enough oil and deep fry half of the sliced onion till they look nice golden brown, but don't over fry them, they will be burnt. Take the fried onion out of the wok and put onto a paper towel. Now fry the potaotes till golden and keep aside.
- Fry rest of the onion with sprinkle of salt till they becomes soft. Now add the marinated chicken into the wok and cover the wok with a large lid, simmer the heat to slow cook the chicken for 15 minutes. The chicken will be cook in this way with it's own water, no need to add extra water. After 15minutes open the lid, higher the heat and evaporate the excess water of the chicken. The chicken must be 80% cooked now. Add the fried potaotes and mix with the gravy.
Layering the biryani :
- Take a Large handi, apply some ghee at the bottom & on the inner wall of the handi. Spread 1/4 of the rice at the bottom, sprinkle salt, some dry roasted and coarslly ground garam masala powder and some ghee on the rice. Place 1/4th of the entire chicken pieces and potaotes, fried onion, grated khoya kheer(this is must for richness of Kolkata biryani) again add some rice and repeat the process. On the top put the last layer of rice, add the rest of garam masala powder, salt & ghee, pour saffron soaked warm milk, rose water, rest of the khoya kheer & fried onion. Place the boiled eggs on the rice.
- Now place a fitted lid on the handi, seal the handi with atta dough, place a roti tawa on heat and place the handi on the tawa. Keep the handi for 20 minutes the heat on medium heat.
- After 20 minutes turn off the heat and give the biryani a standing time of 15 minutes. After 15minutes cut the seal and enjoy the Aromatic Kolkata style Chicken Biryani.
- Take a bowl, beat 2 cups of curd with pinch of rock salt, little sugar. Add chopped cucumber, onion, tomato, cilantro, sprinkle some chat masala & lemon and enjoy with biryani.
Recipe Review Details
Kolkata Style Chicken Biryani North Indian
Recipe Rank - 4.63/5
No of likes - 1334